Last Updated on July 13, 2023 by Victor A
When looking for a new SUV, it’s important to consider the towing capacity, since it will help you tow more weight, which will be useful when hauling items or taking a trailer on a vacation. It’s not easy to find SUVs that can tow 7,000 lbs or more, and that’s why we looked for all of them and compiled them into the following list.
Note that for making navigation easier we have put them in order from the lowest to the highest towing capacity capabilities.
We’ve also limited the list to all the 2022-2023 current models, however, it’s very likely to find old models with the same or similar towing capacities.
List of all the SUVs with a towing capacity above 7,000 lbs
You should also be aware that many of these SUVs require a high trim level, or an option to unlock the maximum capacity.
If you find one you’re interested in, we advise you to head to the website of the automaker and check what version or option is necessary to get the towing capacity to 7,000 lbs or above.
Here’s the whole list with all the current SUVs that can tow 7,000 lbs:
- 2023 Mercedes G-class: Up to 7,000 lbs
- 2023 Lamborghini Urus: Up to 7,000 lbs
- 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Up to 7,200 lbs
- 2023 BMW X5: Up to 7,200 lbs
- 2023 BMW X6: Up to 7,200 lbs
- 2023 GMC Hummer EV: Up to 7,500 lbs
- 2023 BMW X7: Up to 7,500 lbs
- 2023 Mercedes GLS: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Mercedes GLE: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Audi Q7: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Audi Q8: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Range Rover Sport: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Rivian R1S: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Porsche Cayenne: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2023 Bentley Bentayga: Up to 7,700 lbs
- 2024 Lexus GX: Up to 8,000 lbs
- 2023 Lexus LX: Up to 8,000 lbs
- 2023 Cadillac Escalade: Up to 8,200 lbs
- 2023 Land Rover Range Rover: Up to 8,200 lbs
- 2023 Land Rover Discovery: Up to 8,200 lbs
- 2023 Land Rover Defender: Up to 8,200 lbs
- 2023 Chevrolet Suburban: Up to 8,300 lbs
- 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe: Up to 8,400 lbs
- 2023 GMC Yukon: Up to 8,400 lbs
- 2023 Nissan Armada: Up to 8,500 lbs
- 2023 Infiniti QX80: Up to 8,500 lbs
- 2022 Dodge Durango: Up to 8,700 lbs
- 2023 Lincoln Navigator: Up to 8,700 lbs
- 2023 Ford Expedition: Up to 9,300 lbs
- 2023 Toyota Sequoia: Up to 9,520 lbs
- 2023 Jeep Wagoneer: Up to 9,750 lbs
- 2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer: Up to 10,000 lbs
There are many SUVs that can tow 7,000 lbs
If you go through the list there are a few observations that are quite obvious, for example, all of them are either midsize SUVs or full-size SUVs, which makes sense since you need a heavy and relatively large car to move such heavy weights.
Another obvious observation is how many premium-luxury SUVs are on the list, which it’s explained by the fact that automakers use a high towing capacity as an extra feature for high-end cars. Nevertheless, some SUVs on the list are way more affordable than the rest.
There are only two electric vehicles that can tow more than 7,000 lbs, and those are the Rivian R1S, an SUV made to prove that EVs can also go on adventures in very rough terrains, and the GMC Hummer EV, another EV SUV with a focus on adventure seekers.
And lastly, the 2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer remains the SUV with the highest towing capacity, up to 10,000 lbs, quite impressive noting that since its release in 2021, no other recent SUV has managed to get close to it.
This list could be useful if you want to rent an SUV for towing, since it may guide you on deciding which SUV could tow the desired weight.